Friday, March 16, 2007

Read This Book

Occasionally I break the well known rule and judge a book by its cover. This often ends in disaster, but every once in awhile it pays off beautifully. Several months ago The shiny cover of the Amulet of Samarkand, the first book in The Bartimaeus Trilogy, caught my eye and I bought it on impulse.

I tore through the book in two days, and the rest of the trilogy within a week. They were fantastic: snarky, funny, clever, and intelligent.

It’s amazing to me how many really good children’s books are available out there – many of them much better than anything I can find in the regular fiction section. I’m not sure if there are that many more good “young adult” books that when I when I was younger, or if I was just too busy reading trash like Sweet Valley High (yikes, how embarassing).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.