Thursday, May 31, 2007

A Walk In The Park

The past few weeks have been a tad hectic with all the prep for Vika's bridal shower, but I'm finally caught up enough to post. I hope you all really like nature, because this year I've decided to photograph my garden throughout the growing season, so you'll be seeing a lot of it.

Before I get to all of that though, several weeks back Network God and I went for a light hike around Evansburg State Park. A few weeks prior to that there were heavy rains and the creek flooded and there was quite a bit of debris.


I googled Pennsylvania wildflowers to see if I could find some of the names for what we saw, but I wasn't terribly successful. The flowers were very pretty though.


A duck followed us along the creek.


There were some spectacularly large mushrooms. I'm thinking its a good thing Vika wasn't there because they probably would have been taken home for dinner.





These I did find the name for. They're called mayapples. I had seen the foliage later in the summer, but I had never seen them in bloom. They're quite pretty.


You can see how high the flood was from the debris caught in the trees. I don't know exactly how far we were from the creek, but we were above it and could see or here it from here.



I'm hoping Vika can help me with this one. It seems like it could be an orchid, but I couldn't locate the name. I thought it was lovely.


Surprise!


More mayapples.


More wildflowers.





After our hike we had incredible hoagies from the Skippack Village Italian Market and did some shopping at Ott's. As much as I'd always thought I'd end up a city dweller, I have to admit that I love where I live!

Of course I get to the city a lot as well :).

4 comments:

Grendel said...

Hmm. Mushrooms that big are often kind of punky or woody. . . Sulphur Shelf, on the other hand. Like eating steak. :)

And who needs a big city when there's the intartubes?

Vika said...

MUSHROOOMSSSS!

Contrary to popular belief I don't actually collect unsuspecting forest mushrooms. I'm not good enough to tell the yummy ones from the ones that will either give you a day of pain and suffering or kill you. All things considered, unless you can make that fine distinction it's best to leave all of them be :D

Hmmm...if you have a picture of the whole plant I might be able to determine whether that is, indeed, an orchid. And Mayapples are edible, but usually you don't see the fruit because the animals think they're tasty, too :D

THANK YOU--the shower was lovely :D I've got a spot all picked out to display that fabulous samovar when it's not being used. I couldn't bear to put it somewhere where I couldn't see it!!

Vika said...

Hey-those pretty blue ones might be bachelor's buttons, or forget-me-nots.

Vika said...

Eh, never mind, it's neither. I will find it though!!!!!